Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Banana Nut Muffins

Recently our family enrolled in a new healthcare plan with a new insurance company, taking advantage of the discount you receive when you get a physical my husband and I found ourselves in our very regular conversation about the unfairness of genetics and body type, I am 4'10 overweight weight, super muscular, built like a miniature linebacker (words out of my dr.'s mouth) have scleroderma, high cholesterol, rheumatoid & osteo arthritis, less than 30% of my right knee joint and no cartilage left, severe numbness and pain in my extremities, herniated L5-S1 disc, this isn't half of my symptoms. I'm in so much pain I was forced to leave my career only 8 years in. However, I eat 1200 calories a day (1700 now that I nurse my son). I run 3x a week, hike 1x a week, cross train on the days in between, taking one day a week off. I do a challenging 365 day ab workout everyday along with my cardio, squats, push ups, stretching, and meditation. I love nutrition & working out, I research everyday how to better my diet, I eat a mostly macrobiotic vegan diet. So on to my healthy husband, who has diet high in processed foods, mostly pizza and butter, he averages about 6000 calories a day, no joke, I calculate it for him all the time. He is healthy as an ox on paper and in person. So I've decided that if my husband insists on consuming so much junk, I'm going to at least make sure its as healthy as I can make it. I took it upon myself to make him homemade butter. From making butter I also had buttermilk, as I have no usual use for buttermilk I was on the search to find a recipe where I could. Here lies the buttermilk banana nut muffins. I usually don't eat any dairy, and try not to consume sugar, but I let loose.







1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
3 bananas mashed
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour or (1 cup all-purpose flour + 3/4 cup whole wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1. Line your muffin tin or tins with liners. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350˚.
2. In one bowl, add butter, eggs, banana, buttermilk, and vanilla. In a second bowl add, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking   
    soda, and salt. Mix the two bowls until thoroughly combined. Add in as many nuts as you like, I use walnuts.
3. Pour batter into tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and a tester toothpick comes out clean. 
4. Let cool for a few minutes then pop one of those delicious muffins in your mouth, you deserve it.


Recipes yields 30 muffins

Nutrition Info
Calories 95
Carbs 15g
Fat 3g
Protein 1.5g


Pair with a piece of fruit for the perfect after breakfast snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment