Saturday, March 8, 2014

Why eat Carrot Greens?


There is a lot of controversy when it comes to carrot greens. Some believe they are toxic because like all greens they contain alkaloids. Which eaten too frequently or too many, like any green, can be toxic, cause stomach pains, dermatitis, and other adverse effects. However, like I said, all greens contain these alkaloids, you should rotate your greens so that you can get the wonderful benefits of these veggies.
Carrot greens are very nutritious, containing lots of minerals and vitamins, and rich in protein. They are high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Making them good for heart health, bones, and reducing tumor growth. Sounds worth adding them to my diet, in small amounts of course. I don't eat tons of carrots, so I starting growing some extras in my window. Here's my little beauties. And how cute are they on my sill? You want some too now don't you?!

I love these little guys in stir fry and salad. 

Here's how I started growing them:

1. Leave the last 1" of the carrot top intact.
2. Put in a shallow dish.
3. Add just enough water to cover half of the carrot.
4. Change water every few days to keep it clean and fresh.
5. Watch'em grow, and enjoy in recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment