Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Strackeljahn Tuna Salad


I call this the Strackeljahn Tuna Salad because my grandfather was a horseradish farmer for over 50 years in the horseradish capital of the world, Collinsville, IL. I grew up loving this root. I find an excuse to put it in anything. So one day when I thought it was a great idea to try a little bit healthier version of tuna salad, I was pleased with my result. Here goes….



Ingrediants:

10-15 leaves Spinach
1 tomato
1 can of tuna 
1 tbsp Mayo
1 tbsp Sweet Relish
1 tbsp Horseradish
salt & pepper to taste

Directions: 
Mix tuna, relish, horseradish, & mayo in bowl, until tuna is evenly coated. Place spinach on plate. Slice tomato and arrange onto spinach bed. Then use 1/3 of the tuna salad or as much as you want, and save the rest in a glass container (you can use tupperware as well) to keep freshness. Usually lasts up to 4 or so days. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and Enjoy! 

Nutritional Facts:
(Serves 1)

Calories: 229
Fat: 11
Carbs: 16
Protein: 18
Iron: 24
Calcium: 12

Add some fruit or a piece of bread to bump up calories if needed.

I really hope you enjoy the horseradish in it as much as I do, even if you don't like horseradish, try this! Leave a comment and let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!

xoxo,
Danielle
|| little green owl ||

No comments:

Post a Comment