Thursday, January 31, 2013

Tzatziki & Pita

I'm just gonna start by saying this is my favorite thing in the world, food wise that is. Tzatziki is a Greek sauce for dipping pita bread into. It's amazing, really! You need to try it. I know I may be biased just a little bit, but I seriously have concocted the best recipe for this. I have tried so many over the years, when I just decided to create my own. This is also used on Gyro's and other Greek/Turkish dishes.





Ingredients:

1 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Clove Garlic
1/2 Cucumber
7 Sprigs Fresh Dill
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (So Delicious Coconut Yogurt - Dairy Free)

Side Note: I have a magic bullet, yup the one with all those cheesy infomercials. But my husband, dad, and I all agree it's the best blender ever, it's small for storing, quick, and easy to clean. Previously, and up in my pantry somewhere is my expensive KitchenAid Blender that does not begin to compare. I just measure (or eyeball) my ingredients and toss directly into my blender {note: leave the yogurt out, we mix that in later}

Directions:
Start by using a pair of kitchen shears and finely cutting fresh dill into your blender (it makes life much easier than cutting with a knife, less mess too). Than add salt, lemon juice, and garlic to blender. Cut up 1/2 of a cucumber into small chunks (making it easy to blend) and add to blender. Once blended to a puree add to yogurt in at least a 4 cup bowl (I've been overwhelmed before by the amount it makes). Mix until evenly distributed throughout yogurt and it's a smooth consistency. If it is too strong for you, add more yogurt, a tbsp at a time.


Pita: I would love to give you a recipe for this (It's coming in the very near future as I don't buy processed foods, I haven't found the perfect recipe yet) until then, just pick up some pita bread in the bread aisle of your local grocer, make sure it's not the pocket type. I use a 0 calorie butter spray onto a skillet then once heated to a medium low temperature, I put on the pita. Brown it on both sides and make sure it's not to doughy to the touch, it should be firm after browning. Get comfy on the couch and enjoy dipping your delicious pita in Tzatziki!!! nom, nom, nom, I'm headed to the kitchen now, to make a new batch.



Note: Do eat all your tzatzkiki in a few days time, stirring a little bit each time, it does sometimes separate a little bit or become runny (less with Greek Yogurt). Just pour off excess liquid and re stir...trust me you probably wont' have to do this, my husband and I usually finish within two days! :) I hope you enjoy this dish as much as my family does! Please leave any comments and questions below!


Nutrition Info: Per Entire Batch of Tzatziki

148 Calories
26g Carbs
11g Protein



No comments:

Post a Comment