Friday, February 15, 2013

Holistic Shampoo {the NO-Poo Method}

You've probably seen it on pinterest...the NO-Poo Shampoo method of cleaning your hair. I was a hairdresser for years and learned a lot about what chemicals we are putting in our bodies and on it and a lot about those chemicals. Over my lifetime I have also gained a lot of knowledge about our anatomy and how it works. They both have a pH, and if it's not balanced it can lead to some mild-severe conditions. A great way to achieve balance is the NO-Poo method. I have been doing this method for a short while, and so far i love it! My hair has more volume than ever. Of course each person is different and you may have to alter the recipe slightly but it's cheap and healthy. You probably even have these ingredients in your home right now. Although I did have to stop by my local dollar store and pick up some spray bottles, I got some that hold about two n half cups of liquid, so i don't have to refill all the time.


UPDATE: I did this method for over 7 years and every day wish I would have stuck with it. I'm trying to get my hair back to this place again. My hair was the healthiest and most beautiful it has ever been during those 7 years of No-Pooing (lol). I actually ended up getting rid of the baking soda completely and would just shampoo with water and rinse with ACV.


NO-Poo Recipe

1 cup     Filtered Water
1 tbsp   Baking Soda 

     Using a funnel, add baking soda ( 1 tbsp per cup water ) to spray bottle. Then add your water and shake. That's it, yup pretty easy...a lot easier than running to the store and spending $6-60 per bottle of shampoo. 

Directions:
    Dampen hair. Shake bottle. Spray liberally. ( I spray the most on my hairline and crown, because that's the oiliest ). Massage your scalp with finger tips in a circular motion. Rinse. {Note: this will not lather}


pH Conditioner Recipe

1 cup     Filtered Water
1 tbsp   Apple Cider Vinegar

        Using a funnel, add vinegar to bottle ( 1 tbsp per cup of water ). Then add your water and shake. Almost as difficult as the shampoo, huh?? :)

Directions:
      After No-Pooing you hair (hehe), spray your ends liberally and scalp lightly. Let sit for a few minutes (this is when i wash everything else) then rinse. Style as usual!

Note: If you have oilier hair (try a larger amount of baking soda)
         If you have dryer hair (try a smaller amount of baking soda and more vinegar)

Some people may have a more difficult time adjusting to this method based on your condition and type of hair. But note that if you have any scalp conditions this should help with this as well. (I have eczema and it's all clear now, yay, that crap itched like crazy)

Let me know how you like your new method.

Original Recipe found at this great blog:

Jennifers Surprise No-Poo Experience:
Funny little story about this shampoo...my sister was in town for the weekend and was taking a shower when she calls me into the bathroom,
Jennifer- "Ummmm....where's your shampoo and conditioner". Me- "Yah, I don't use that anymore". Jennifer- "What, but your hair looks so good". Me- "Really, but yah, here's the deal, spray the pink bottle here, and the blue bottle there." It really was hilarious watching her face. She was so confused and I think she didn't believe me either, but she tried it, and to her and My amazement, when she was untangling it, she said her hair had never combed through so easily before, mind you this girl has no damage to her hair either other than environmental. But she liked it, to her surprise :) Just thought you should know!

No comments:

Post a Comment